Camrose Running Forum
May 22, 2019, 07:12:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Enjoy the Camrose Running forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite loop in Camrose?  (Read 20555 times)
robert

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »

I've run in Camrose for 10 years now, and I think I've covered most of the streets of the city.

I often run around Mirror Lake, since it's a nice loop and usually the footing is decent there during winter. Well, the melting snow makes for some icy patches in the spring.

Which is your favourite loop that you often run in Camrose?

My favourite one is actually the one I call the "Little Loop". It's 550 meters long, and it's located "behind" the Knights of Columbus building, north of Grand Drive. The little creek runs in the middle, so there are two bridges to cross. I actually like going around and around on a shorter loop. If it's windy, you only get the wind in your face for a little while until it's in your back, and so on. It's a perfect loop for doing speed workouts too. Ian and I often do threshold and tempo runs there. Ian and Brendan ran a marathon there recently (76 laps or so), crazy as they are...  Cheesy
gordfromborder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »

Robert

The " little loop" you descibe is Bull Rush Park. I use this loop to add some distance to my   " Mirror Lake Loop"  on training runs. My MLL starts at my house and up 68 st. to 48 ave. The lights at the intersection is exactly one mile, so is a good time check.

My favourite run is my Valley Trail Run. It starts across the Mirror lake dam, through Jubilee Park ( using the stairs on the East side), following the trail south across 44 Ave (?). From there I bear to the left, taking the ski trail south, taking any hills that come along. Up over the ski hill, under the trestle and Ring Road and continue south until you reach the top of the hill before the trail drops down to the Camrose sewage lift satation. At the top of the hill, return on the ski trails until the trail drops down and crosses the creek, turn left up the hill and follow the trail under Ring Road and trestle ( on the west side of the creek) turn left again and up the long hill, coming out at the west end of the Ring Road Bridge. Follow the whoop de doos north and come out below the tree nursery, up by the ski club and follow the trail north on the east side of the cemetary, then home through Kin Park.

Rereading this entry, seems wordy, but hopefully you can follow. It's s great run in the afternoon. Usually some wild creatures ( four legged) are encountered, and otherwise great solitude. Plus, it gives a great hill workout, yet with it being a trail, the surface is forgiving on  my feet and legs.

Even tho it is officially spring, I think you will have to wait a while to run these trails this year!

Gord
ian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:24:26 PM »

Not crazy, just stupid.  That was the 6th installment of our Camrose Marathon series (indoor track, Mirror Lake, outdoor track, O'Shea's, treadmills, Bull Rush loop).

My standard long loop goes up 53 St., around the golf course, around the berm, and back through Jubilee Park -- about 12K, so it's perfect for an easy run and can be doubled or tripled for something longer.  The running log says I've done 60 of these so far this year...
uncle_evan

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »

i just run where-ever most of the time, but I will do a 8.7 km run from my house on to the berm at century meadows, into the valley by the bridge via the upper paved trail, to the paved trail exit by  44ave. before jubilee park and go home the same way, in the summer i will take the long way home thru the valley to the valleyview entance by the pumphouse and back to the berm...

evan
brendan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:13:06 PM »

My favorite loop on Camrose is probably the shorter Mirror Lake loop - cutting short over the bridge instead of going all the way down to the coop.  It's generally pretty well kept up in the winter time.  I've been missing it since they blocked it off by the golf course.  It's a nice distance of a loop.  Not so short that it gets boring running laps, and it's good for getting splits times on laps and monitoring your pacing.  For a good long run, 20 laps is just a shade over a marathon. 
Of all our Camrose Marathon sites thus far, the lake is my favorite one (except for the day we did it it snowed about a foot, and I had to finish the distance on the treadmill - I still think I would have been alright if I hadn't had to hurdle over Ian)

If anyone has any good ideas for loop around Camrose that would make good marathons, I'm all ears. 

Other ideas are the loop from the wax room under the trestle and back on the top of the hill (2km) - When the trestle is fixed.
gordfromborder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »

Brendan,

I have been away from Camrose most of the winter. What closures are you referring to re: Mirror Lake Trail/ Golf Course and the trestle south of the ski lodge? Is this something new?

Thanks,

Gord
ian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:49:50 AM »

Quote from: brendan
Of all our Camrose Marathon sites thus far, the lake is my favorite one (except for the day we did it it snowed about a foot, and I had to finish the distance on the treadmill - I still think I would have been alright if I hadn't had to hurdle over Ian)

You never complained about hurdling the small child at Edgeworth & that was at 40K!

Quote from: gordfromborder
What closures are you referring to re: Mirror Lake Trail/ Golf Course and the trestle south of the ski lodge? Is this something new?

A couple of rail cars fell off the trestle bridge two weeks ago and they've torn up some of the area to allow bigger equipment to get at it.  As for Mirror Lake, they seem to be installing some new pipes at the west end of the lake and so the trail is blocked off from both directions near that side.
gordfromborder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »

Ian

Are you referring to the trestle south of the ski hill or the trestle on 50 St. South? Much damage, injuries, or God forbid, toxic spills into our beloved water system? What caused it and which side/ end of the trestle did it go off? Hopefully, all is back to ( almost) normal by the time we get back to Camrose.

Gord

ian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:35:24 AM »

Are you referring to the trestle south of the ski hill or the trestle on 50 St. South? Much damage, injuries, or God forbid, toxic spills into our beloved water system? What caused it and which side/ end of the trestle did it go off? Hopefully, all is back to ( almost) normal by the time we get back to Camrose.

Ski hill trestle bridge, apparently due to some snow drifts near the tracks.  As best I can tell, a couple of empty cars went over the west edge of the bridge and damaged it a bit but the bridge is still in use.  No spills that I know of and no timeline on the repair.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: